How can the intraoral camera help?
Utilizing intraoral cameras is a completely comfortable process for patients, and provides an honest assessment of the teeth. Here are some of an intraoral camera’s main uses:
- Dental education – Education and preventive care are highly important in dentistry. The intraoral camera can expose areas where home hygiene may be deficient. Any problems can then be resolved before complicated treatments are required.
- Exposing hidden problems – Conditions like gum disease and oral cancer may display easy-to-miss symptoms in their earliest stages. The intraoral camera can more clearly highlight these issues to the dentist and the patient.
- Treatment planning – No matter how well a dentist might describe a condition, it is easier to understand the issue if it can be seen. Seeing tooth decay and problem teeth helps patients understand why certain treatments are recommended for maximum health benefit and aesthetics.
- Assessing progress – Some treatments impact the teeth slowly. The intraoral camera allows treatment to be modified along the way, if necessary, to ensure the desired results are achieved.
- Eliminating uncertainty – One of the most common patient fears is that a dentist is performing unnecessary treatments. The intraoral camera highlights problem areas, so that individuals are less likely to refuse necessary treatment.
- Referrals to specialists – On occasion, a patient may need to be referred to a specialist for complex treatment. If this specialist is able to view clear images of the teeth in advance, consultation times and costs can be reduced.